ASIAN STYLE PORK BELLY. A little sweet, a little sticky, a little salty & a little spicy. That silky texture is exactly what I do enjoy! It's one of the richest meats there is and although it is not an everyday thing, it is a real favourite indulgence for mine.
Serve it over rice for the ultimate dinner and forget you ever wanted to. Other pork belly favorite recipes include Mei Cai Kou Rou, a famous steamed pork belly, Braised pork belly with arrowroot, a Cantonese New Year's favorite The list goes on, but since I'm from Shanghai, I like to cook the original, un-embellished Shanghai-style version. This shanghai pork belly recipe is. You can cook ASIAN STYLE PORK BELLY using 9 ingredients and 10 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of ASIAN STYLE PORK BELLY
- You need 750 grams of Pork Belly.
- It’s of Chinese 5 Spice Powder.
- Prepare 3 of Cloves of Garlic.
- It’s 1 tbsp of Fresh Ginger (peeled and chopped finely).
- You need 1 of Red Chilli (finely sliced).
- You need 1 of Stick of Lemongrass (bashed and cut into 3 pieces).
- Prepare 800 ml of Chicken Stock.
- It’s of Olive Oil.
- Prepare 1 cup of water.
Easy Crispy Pork Belly Cooking by Masterchef This Crispy Pork Belly With Asian Salad And Chili Ginger Caramel Sauce recipe is featured in the Pork feed along with many more. Easy Chinese-Style Braised Pork Belly – Couple Eats Food. This Chinese braised pork belly is the definition of comfort homecooked meal!
ASIAN STYLE PORK BELLY instructions
- Pre heat your oven to as high as it will go , which will give the skin a chance to start crisping up..
- Make sure that your pork belly is scored on the top in a criss cross pattern. Most pieces come with it done already, but if not then use a very sharp knife, and cut around half a centimeter into the skin..
- Sprinkle the 5 spice powder over the top of the pork belly, and make sure to give it a good rub to get all of the flavours into the cuts on the top. Then drizzle with olive oil, and give it a good rub all over, then set aside for around 30 mins to let it do its magic..
- In the meantime, it is time to prepare your stock. I find the jelly stock pots perfect for this, so chuck your stock cube into a measuring jug and add the water. Then add the chilli, ginger, garlic and lemongrass. With the lemongrass it is important to bash it with the flat part of a knife before you add it, as this releases all of the flavour. Set this aside to let all of the flavours infuse..
- Grab yourself a small deep sided roasting tray, that is big enough to fit the pork belly in whilst still allowing around 5 cm of space around the sides. Put the roasting tray on the hob and add a good glug of olive oil. Once the oil is hot, add the pork belly and colour it on all sides, but not the top. Once this is done, turn off the gas..
- By now, your oven should be screaming hot, so transfer the pork belly in its roasting tray to the oven, and let it cook for around 20 mins..
- Remove the tray from the oven, and turn the temperature right down to 150°c and then pour your stock (which should be smelling amazing by now) very carefully around the sides of the pork belly, and leaving a bit aside just in case you need to top it up. It is VERY important to make sure that the stock doesn't cover the fatty top as this will stop it from crisping up..
- Put the pork belly back into the oven, and cook for around 1½ hours. After around an hour, go back and make sure that the stock level hasn't dropped too low..
- After 1½ hours, remove the pork belly from the oven and take it out of the tray. Set aside for 10 minutes to let it rest…. and your done! I like my crackling REALLY crispy, but this is down to your own personal choice..
- I like to serve this dish with steamed Pak Choi, and Dauphinoise potatoes..
Asian-style pork belly pancakes (Donna Hay)Source: Donna Hay. Divide the pork and crackling between the pancakes. Top with the pickled vegetables, hoisin sauce and chilli. This is a great pork belly stew Shanghai style! The pork belly is cut into dices, roasted, then braised with Chinese cooking wine, and finally caramelized.